Thursday, August 12, 2010

bawww

new ring and pinion has manufacturer defect. backlash set to .008 in, but varies between .007-.011 inches in different spots. also has .004 inches runout.

cusco LSD/carrier has 0 runout. ring IS seated properly @ 71 ft/lbs.

it has to be the ring and pinion.
I will be getting my money back this time. I have the choice of exchange but will not be taking it. I will just buy a TRD ring and pinion now. I will most likely be missing the Limitless Drift event on tuesday. Hopefully Alex is nice enough to give me my prereg money back but if not I understand how that goes.

Im not one to start shit on forums like club4ag but Ill post it here. DO NOT go to Weir Performance for anything. There are plenty of people I knew that had problems with him setting up their diffs, my cousin Wes (drivesan89caravan from club4ag) included. I will not mention the other people out of respect, they can shoutout on their own if they want. The only reason I bought the ring and pinion was because I thought the actual product would be fine. Many people on club4ag say they have no problems. So maybe yeah this one is just a rare occurrence, but I am no longer going to take these chances. I just don't want to deal with it anymore. I just wasted another 150 dollars on install. Weir told me to just run the new ring and pinion and to trust him that .004 variance is fine. But I don't trust his setup advice. I called Rear End Specialties in Santa Clara, Performance Options in Oakland, and most importantly, *Technosquare in socal* and they all agreed that the variance is too large and is most likely a manufacturer defect.

By the way, the used ring and pinion I bought was originally a Weir product and was first installed to the guys car by Weir as well. My suspicion is that the dude ended up taking it out cause it crapped out on him from being poorly setup/manufacturer defect. That would explain the quick uneven wear it received despite being only 6 months old.

TRD ring and pinion and broke-ness here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment